Table of Contents
Reducing Your Breast Cancer Risk: 6 Healthy Lifestyle Tips for Women
While many of us have a higher genetic likelihood of a breast cancer diagnosis, there are lifestyle choices we can make to mitigate breast cancer risk. The following article discusses health strategies you can follow to reduce your risk of developing breast cancer. Bedford Breast Center offers care for breast cancer in Los Angeles, specializing in providing comprehensive breast health services, including cancer screening, treatment, and breast reconstruction. To schedule an appointment, please visit our contact page.
Bedford Breast Center and Cassileth Plastic Surgery are committed to treating our patients who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. It is our mission and passion for providing our patients with breast cancer education in order to help patients prevent cancer from recurring. Studies have shown that certain changes to diet and lifestyle can significantly reduce the risk of cancer recurring.
Preserving your long-term health means making the best possible lifestyle choices. Not only can a mindful approach to health and nutrition reduce your risk for breast cancer, it can also help you avoid numerous preventable illnesses including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and other debilitating conditions. The following tips could help you maintain good long-term health, energy, and overall well-being.
- Eating 5 servings per day of fruits and vegetables plus getting 30 minutes of light exercise each day can cut the risk of cancer recurrence by 50%.
- Eating one cup of soybeans per day can cut the mortality rate by 36% to 38%. The serving can be one cup of edamame or soy milk.
- Eating 1 teaspoon of flaxseed per day can cut mortality by 40%
- Consuming no more than three glasses of alcohol per week can reduce the risk of mortality. Although there is some research suggesting that moderate alcohol may potentially reduce risk of heart disease or certain types of stroke, maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly is far more beneficial. Even one drink per day increases your risk of developing certain cancers, including breast cancer, according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Consuming 1000mg of Tumeric per day reduced the activity of cancer cells.
- Intermittent fasting and only eating between 8-11 hours per day can lower the risk of recurrence and mortality.
We’ve compiled a list of 6 healthy lifestyle tips for women with breast cancer below:
Bedford Breast Center is proud to be a leading care center for breast cancer in Los Angeles. From our state-of-the-art facilities, to our compassionate staff, to our renowned breast cancer surgeons, we deliver exceptional services to a diverse population of survivors, including screening, treatments, breast-conserving surgery, and breast reconstruction. We’re here to help throughout your journey to physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Dr. Leslie F. Memsic at the Bedford Breast Center, servicing Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and the greater Los Angeles area.